Thursday 21 February 2013

Summary and stats of all my trades in turning £30,000 into £60,000


I have achieved my goal of turning £30,000 into £60,000 !!!

Wow - is all I can really say to this, I am still in a bit of shock I think; it has taken me less than 3 months to do what I thought would take me a year.

I closed all my positions yesterday morning once I was over £30,000.
My final tally was £30,101.90.
This was my target and just like any normal trade I wanted to stick to my rules so I sold out.

I also think that even though the markets are going crazy at the moment, some time out is a good thing. I need a break and it will give me some time to reflect on what I have achieved and to analyse my bets. I am also wondering where the market is going to be honest, I am a little concerned about the massive gains lately, I think we are due for a correction sometime soon. Maybe it's a good time to sit on the side-lines for a while and watch.

This will not be the end of this blog though, or the end of my spread betting - that's for sure.

I'll be back into the markets before long, that's a given. 

I performed this experiment because I have always wanted to see if I could actually make money trading. I clearly picked a great time for it. But, even though I am an eternal optimist, I am also a realist and I know that I have been supremely lucky with what I have achieved over the last two and a bit months. I could just as easily lose it all again if I am not careful.

I would really love to see if I could do it again, and I will at some stage. If I could keep doing this until I have enough of a pot to trade-for-a-living on, that is where I want to be.

But when I do re-enter the market, do I use the full £60k I now have or do I just use £30k again and keep £30k for a rainy day. I feel that I should at least keep some in cash, maybe not £30k but some.

What do you guys think?

Anyway, here is a table of all my bets placed during this experiment, the winners, losers, entry price, close price and profit or loss. The astute of you will notice that if you subtract the entry price from the close price and multiply that by the £’s per point you won’t necessarily arrive at my profit / loss. You will undoubtedly get a smaller profit or larger loss. This is due to daily rolling costs that the spread betting companies charge. The profit and loss figure is the actual money I took out, or paid in once the bet was closed.

Any thoughts or comments?



7 comments:

  1. Hi Oliver,

    Great blog! And great to read you have reached your goal already. I'm an editor at Harriman House, the publishers of The Naked Trader and The Financial Spread Betting Handbook. I was wondering if you'd be interested in turning your experience into a short eBook as part of our Harriman Instants range? Or perhaps guest posting about what you've achieved on our Harriman Intelligence blog? (wp.harriman-house.com)

    We think our readers would be really interested to hear what you've got to say. Do get in touch if it's of interest! My email is chris.parker@harriman-house.com

    Best,

    Chris Parker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only picked up your blog very lately. Outstanding effort.

    Now that I know you're here keep us in the loop if you're ever going to start another experiment. Perhaps some side posts as to what you're thinking of next and at what price etc. Always looking for tips!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Stock tips; will do - will certainly keep blogging and will be re-entering the market soon no doubt.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations!! What a great feeling it must be to finish this project successfully and also in half the time you initially planned to! I was just looking at the numbers and your average profitability per bet per day was climbing higher and higher the longer the project was progressing. Do you plan to share your strategy and lessons learned?
    Regarding the funds, i would put the initial capital away for a rainy day and use the 30K earned to start another account. Next time the account doubles take only 50% of the profits out and keep doing so every time it doubles or every year, whichever occurs sooner.I look forward to your next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yup - I will be writing a post at some stage once I have done some more analysis on my trades.

      With taking only £30k etc., I agree, I think risking all £60k in the market might be foolish!

      Delete
    2. Great blog!

      I have a question if I may...
      Are your trailing stop losses based on 7% of the static buy price, or the dynamic market price?

      Have you had any further thoughts, or carried out any further analysis, with regard to stop loss management?

      Thanks

      Delete
    3. Thank you!

      Not sure what you mean by static buy price? Close price at the end of the day maybe?

      But, to answer your question, stops will track the dynamic market price.

      Delete